Thursday, July 26, 2007

Disappointed

I am somewhat disappointed over the lack of collegial contact I have received.
The vocational call to the ministry of Word and Sacrament is like no other. It is not just a job but a call from God. Not a job but a ministry. Not a job but a journey into the lives of God's people. And the list goes on. We are called to be a teacher, administrator, counselor, spiritual guide, encourager, and comforter in times of trial. We are all things to all people.
And that makes our vocation so unique that only those who are in this role can fully understand it.
One might think that should make for an even greater collegial bond. I hate to use the term 'club' but in some sense that's what it is, and a very exclusive one at that (set-apart).
It would seem quite natural therefore, that when the clergy are in need, who would know better than the clergy, how to best meet those needs? And when the clergy are in trouble...who should be coming to their aid?
Since my sin and exile however, I have heard from only a few. And those were friends before I became ordained. The silence from all these pastors is deafening.
This is certainly a unique way to do pastoral care.
The ministry of avoidance.
I suppose I really can't blame them. I am an embarrassment to them and the Church. A disappointment to the 'club.'
And if they were to call what would they say?
To be fair, I should say that if I called on any of them for help they would not close the door on me.
And yet...are they not closing the door with their silence?
I have received calls, letters, messages through others, e-mails, and text messages in abundance from friends and the lay people of the churches I served. Loving, encouraging, forgiving messages of hope.

But not a peep out of the clergy.

No comments: