Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Grim Reality

I was looking at Mark Driscoll's blog the other day. He has a 11 part series called "Death By Ministry" in which he speaks on the many pitfalls of pastoral ministry. In part two he appears in a video where a rather striking statement is made about theological education not translating to the secular workforce.
A fictitious scenario is offered about former ministers attempting to get a job stating their qualifications as: [I] "...can parse Greek verbs and I totally understand justification by faith..." The prospective employer responds by showing where the mop is located.
I wonder if Mark knows how brutally truthful his statement is. I say this after having just mopped the floor.
Don't get me wrong; it's not that I'm against menial labor. I have done far worse things on the mission field. But there I was glad to do it, no matter how filthy or difficult it was.
Now that type of labor is just a reminder: - of all my hard work and sacrifice.....coming to nothing.
- of God's gifts for the ministry of Word and Sacrament, sitting in a mop bucket.

A grim reality of my failure.

No comments: