Monday, August 6, 2007

What I Need

I decided not to go to church today.
Not because I wanted to be lazy or I wanted to avoid the pain. Although I must admit, when I reflect on my absence from church it got me to thinking.
From a leader's perspective, when someone missed worship I didn't give it much thought. I know that people have busy lives and that whether they were on a weekend getaway or just resting from a long week everyone is entitled to take the weekend off. In short, I never stood over people and asked where they were last week.
But I never considered that people (strangers) might find it emotionally difficult to come to church. We as leaders know of those individuals in our congregations who are going through trials in their lives. And we understand when they do not attend as regularly as they used to. We might even try to go to their home to minister to them.
But what about the people whose difficult life circumstance is unknown to us?
I have always thought that on any given weekend someone (and maybe more than one) is desperate to hear the Gospel...that is, "Good News" of hope. And so I always tried to craft my sermons in such a way as to give not only a tangible way to live for God but also to proclaim God's love for each of us.
I hardly ever conducted a strict, serious, super pious, worship experience; opting instead for a light, friendly and fun time with community and God.
I hope I did that well.
My reasons at the time were to make worship a positive, fun, energizing experience. I wanted to make 'church' a place you would WANT to get up, get dressed, and come to on a Sunday morning.
Does that seem stupid?
If I was a leader now....I would know how important this type of worship experience would be to those who might be suffering, for those who are looking for a special type of comfort.
Because it is what I long for.

Today we are always hearing about this or that ministry trying new things to spark growth or reach the 'unchurched' (for lack of a better phrase). Every gimmick under the sun is tried, from doing a coffee house to worshiping in non-traditional church locations.
All that stuff, is just that. Stuff.
I don't need that.
I'm hurting. What I need is a community that loves me unconditionally. A place where people are happy that they are there and happy that I came as well.
What I need is to laugh. Because I gotta tell ya...I don't find a whole lot to laugh about these days.
What I need, is to hear the Gospel. I need to hear hope, forgiveness and love, poured out on me by God.
I already know the law...because I broke it. I don't need anyone telling me the rules. Because I am being punished by them.
And I don't need a coffee shop, or a different building, or a podcast, or whatever else is the latest and greatest to attract me. Ultimately, how could all that 'stuff' possibly make me feel comfortable or take away my pain?

As a worship leader, this is a perspective I never considered.

No comments: